Prepare for your disability interview:
tips from Social Security
When a person becomes disabled, it can be a very stressful time in their life. There are many questions and unknowns when you have to transition out of the workforce due to medical issues. While an employer may offer short or long-term disability, most people faced with a disability will file for benefits with Social Security.
If you’re facing life with a disability and don’t know where to start, we encourage you to visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilityssi. You can apply for benefits on our website; it’s the most convenient way. Additionally, you can contact us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778 or visit your local office if you wish to apply for disability benefits. When applying for benefits, you should be prepared to answer a number of questions including:
• When your conditions became disabling:
• Dates you last worked;
• The names, addresses, phone numbers, and dates of visits to your doctors;
• The names of medications that you take and medical tests you’ve had; and
• Marital information.
• In addition, if you plan on applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability payments, for people with low income who haven’t paid enough in Social Security taxes to be covered, we will ask you questions about:
• Your current living arrangement, including who lives there and household expenses;
• All sources of income for you and your spouse, if applicable; and
• The amount of your resources, including bank account balances, vehicles, and other investments.
You can view our disability starter kit at www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits.htm.
Remember, we are there when you might be faced with one of the hardest obstacles of your life. Social Security helps secure today and tomorrow with critical benefits for people with severe disabilities, not just during retirement. Learn more at www.socialsecurity.gov.
Kylle' D. McKinney, Public Affairs Specialist • Social Security Administration • 4344 Carmichael Road, Suite 100
Montgomery, AL 36106 • (866) 593-0914 Ext: 26265- Office (334) 479-1242--Cell • (334) 272-7630--Fax
Join the Millions! Create your own MY Social Security account at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount