The people's voice of reason

Samford falls to Kansas

The Samford men's basketball team fell to Kansas in the first round of the NCAA tournament 89 to 93.

The Jayhawks had a 10-point lead at halftime 48 to 38; but the Bulldogs from Homewood came storming back in the second half outscoring Kansas5 51 to 45 in the second half, but it wasn't quite enough.

At one point in the game Samford trailed by 20 points. The Bulldogs launched a furious second half comeback to bring the game within 1 – 89 to 90 with only 20 seconds left in the game. Kansas's Nicholas Timberlake then attempted a shot to seal the deal for Kansas; but his shot was blocked from behind by Samford's A.J. Staton-McCray. Samford appeared poised to be in position to advance the ball for to attempt the game winning shot; but the officials called a very dubious foul call on Staton-McCay sending Timberlake to the free throw line. Timberlake made both free throws to extend the Kansas lead to 3 points. Samford's Johnny Furphy still managed to get off a 3-point shot that would have tied the game; but missed. Kansas made a free throw in the last waning seconds of the game to seal their victory.

The foul on Staton-Mcay has been widely criticized in the media as the replay shows no contact. It appears that McCay-Staton got all ball on that block. The officials apparently think they saw something else.

The defeat ended Samford's emotional ride through the Southern Conference playoffs, winning the conference championship game, and then going to the NCAA tournament.

Achor Achor led the Bulldogs with 23 points and 8 rebounds. Jade Campbell contributed 18 points and 3 rebounds. Riley Allenspach contributed 15 points and 4 rebounds. Rylan Jones had 9 points and 2 rebounds.

Samford ended their season 29 and 6. Kansas advances to the second round of the NCAA tournament now with a record of 23 and 10.

The Bulldogs are coached by Bucky McMillan.

To connect with the author of this story, or to comment, email


Reader Comments(0)

Rendered 04/20/2024 13:11